Roles of Hospice Volunteer
A hospice volunteer may be involved with a patient in the following ways:
- Provide emotional support to the dying patient and his/her family by being available to LISTEN actively.
- Provide COMPANIONSHIP, when needed.
- Assist the Hospice team in identifying the needs of the patient and his/her family, as observed during the volunteer’s visit.
- Assist, as appropriate, with the care of the patient, which might include: visiting, writing letters, recreational activities, transportation, staying with the patient while the family is away and helping with household needs.
- Support families through the bereavement process by attending services, sending cards, visiting, and making follow-up phone calls to the bereaved as appropriate.
- Share information about the Hospice program in the local community.