By Courtney Eby, RDN, LD
Have you ever wondered why so many recipes call for toasted nuts? Nuts are perfectly delicious in their natural state. Toasting them makes them even better! Toasting nuts enhances their flavor as well as their crunch making them a delicious snack or the perfect addition to salad, yogurt, cereal or any recipe that calls for nuts.
Toasting nuts is quick and easy! Any type of shelled nut can be toasted. Check out these simple steps below:
1) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Spread out the nuts on a cookie sheet. No need to use cooking spray or oil because nuts have their own!
3) Bake for 5-10 minutes. Nuts can burn quickly, so it’s a good idea to set a timer. When the nuts are a couple of shades darker and your kitchen has the aroma of toasted nuts then you know they’re done!
Other Helpful Tips
- It’s best to toast nuts whole and then chop them into smaller pieces if needed.
- Because different kinds of nuts vary in size, not all nuts will take the same amount of time to toast. Let your nose tell you when they're done!
- Make a large batch then store in a zip lock bag or sealed container to use in other recipes or for a quick and healthy snack.