Spring is here! (Er, it’s coming . . . .) With warmer days ahead, think about adding exercise to your daily family routine. It’s a great way to establish healthy habits for life.
Regular exercise helps you maintain a healthy weight, improves mental health, reduces the risk of heart disease, increases muscle strength, and enhances overall well-being. A good goal is 30 minutes of moderate exercise each day. Even better: add some short, high intensity bursts of exercise.
Check out these family-friendly fitness ideas from Joel Beithon, lead physical therapist at Rehabilitation Services in Northfield:
- Talk with your spouse or partner about the benefits of family fitness; make it part of your family’s schedule – nightly walks after dinner, a Saturday morning bike ride.
- Support each other’s interests and goals.
- Encourage your kids to take part in a summer sport -- the routine helps develop healthy habits.
- While you walk or jog, invite your kids to bike along.
- Learn a new sport together. Tennis! Rock climbing! New adventures together help foster self-esteem and promote physical activity in a fun way.
- Leave the car at least once a week, and walk or bike to your destination together.
- Hang out at a park. Games like football, frisbee, basketball and soccer boost your heart rate and hone motor skills.
- Give play as a gift. For birthdays and gift occasions, think bikes, in-line skates, a baseball glove, a basketball – gifts that fits your kid’s interests and make fitness fun.
Joel Beithon, PT is manager of Physical Therapy at Rehabilitation Services clinic in Northfield. To make an appointment with Joel, call the clinic at (507) 646-8800.