If you like burrito bowls, you will love these flavorful fish taco bowls! Prep the ingredients ahead of time and this meal can be on the table in no time.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano flakes
- 4 tilapia fillets (or other white fish)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels thawed (can also use fresh)
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Fresh cilantro, diced avocado, shredded lettuce, shredded purple cabbage, lime wedges
- Combine the chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika, onion powder, and oregano in a small dish. Sprinkle seasonings over tilapia fillets and rub into the fillets.
- Drizzle olive oil in a large cast iron skillet and warm to medium high heat. Add minced garlic and sauté for about 20 seconds, then add in your tilapia fillets. To avoid crowding the fillets in the pan, cook two at a time. Cook fish for 2-3 minutes on each side (try to be patient while cooking and avoid moving the fish around to get a good sear). When fish is white and flaky, it is done. Remove to plate and repeat with additional fish fillets. Cut fish into bite-sized pieces.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil, corn, red onion and red bell pepper to the same skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes without stirring to allow them to roast and sear. Then stir and let them cook again for 2 minutes until vegetables are tender and caramelized. Add in drained and rinsed black beans and heat for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add 1/3 to 1/2 cup brown rice to a bowl and top with the corn/beans/pepper mixture, and pieces of blackened fish. Serve topped with cilantro, avocado, shredded lettuce, cabbage, and/or lime wedges.
Nutrition Facts: Serving size: 1/4 of the recipe, Calories: 354, Total fat: 5 grams, 1 gram saturated fat, sodium: 257 mg, total carbohydrate: 54 grams, protein: 32 grams, fiber: 10 grams
Recipe adapted from https://www.thechunkychef.com/blackened-tilapia-taco-bowls/