When it comes to hearty and healthful meals, this soup has all of the bases covered. Ground turkey and great northern beans are lean sources of protein and the beans and vegetables are excellent sources of fiber.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a stock pot, cook the turkey, onion, celery, and carrots until turkey is cooked through and vegetables are tender. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Next, add the broth, corn, beans, chilies, oregano, cumin, and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through. Serve topped with cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/2 cup serving contains 281 calories, 16 g total fat, 5 g saturated fat, 6 grams monounsaturated fat, 2 grams polyunsaturated fat, 0 grams trans fat, 56 mg cholesterol, 555 mg sodium, 1000 mg potassium, 32 grams total carbohydrates, 6 grams fiber, 5 grams sugars, 27 grams protein.