Childbirth and New Parent Classes
NH+C offers a variety of classes taught by Amma Parenting, NH+C staff and Rice County Public Health.
Most classes are taught through our partnership with Amma Parenting. Amma Parenting offers a wide variety of classes to prepare you for childbirth and beyond including Infant CPR, New Mama, Natural Childbirth, Labor Skills Workshop and more. You are welcome to sign up for any Amma Class. Visit Amma Parenting for descriptions of additional classes.
You will need to create an account with Amma Parenting to complete your sign-up. If you see a class without a sign-up button, the class is full. Contact Amma Parenting to be placed on a waiting list at 952-926-2229. Amma offers in-person, virtual and online classes.
If you have any questions regarding childbirth education, please contact email@example.com.
Clase Prenatal para Latinos
Educacion en espanol para el parto y lactancia materna. Llama a Rachel o Shariesse (interpretes del hospital) al 507-646-1069.
Preparing for Childbirth Classes
Preparing for Childbirth
Choose from 3 different options (Taught by Amma)
- One 4-hour weekend session
- Three 2.5-hour weekly sessions
- Online self-paced class
- The final weeks of pregnancy through the stages and phases of labor and into postpartum
- Knowledge of birthing interventions and how they may be used during your birth if you choose including:
- coping strategies
- medications for comfort
- cesarean sections
- inductions and medical interventions
- Preparing for Childbirth 3-week class is the only class that includes hands on breathing and relaxation
Preparing for Baby Classes
These classes are a great fit for expectant parents interested in preparing for your newborn. Expectant parents should plan to complete this class by the 36th week of pregnancy.
Breastfeeding (Taught by Amma)
- One session – 2.5 hours
- How to get started in the hospital
- Establishing a milk supply
- Signs of success and when to seek help
- How partners/family can help a successful breastfeeding partner
- Gain confidence through knowledge
Lecture based class with some activities to help reinforce what you have learned
Newborns 101 – Learn about caring for your newborn (Taught by Amma)
- One session – 2.5 hours
- Care procedures at birth
- How to swaddle
- Newborn behaviors and cues and how to respond
- Car seat installation basics
- How to diaper using dolls
- The mixture of video, hands-on practice and real-life scenarios go beyond what you can read online
Amma Parenting offers a wide variety of classes to prepare you for childbirth and your new baby including Infant CPR, Natural Childbirth, Labor Skills Workshop and more. You are welcome to sign up for any Amma Class. Visit Amma's website for for descriptions of additional classes.
Choose a Class
Use the next button at the top of the list to see more offerings.
Breastfeeding Services (Taught by NH+C)
Northfield Hospital + Clinics offers education and support from an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) to help make breastfeeding a positive experience for you and your new baby. Learn more about breastfeeding services.
Newborn – Baby Talk
Free! Every Monday, 10:30-12:00 (except Federal Holidays) Baby Talk is a free class for parents with newborns from birth to 12 weeks.
A public health nurse, parent educator, and lactation specialist will be available to answer questions about your newborn and provide support and information on your new journey of parenting.
• Facilitated discussions will cover feeding, attachment, sleep, development, family changes & returning to work.
• Parents coming in person have an opportunity to have their baby weighed No sign up necessary.
Drop in weekly at the Northfield Community Education Center, 700 Lincoln Parkway. Free sibling care is available each week. To attend virtually, text Ellen 507-301-7369 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Baby Talk is a collaboration between NH+C staff, Northfield Public Schools, Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE) Program, and Rice County Public Health Nursing.
You can watch a variety of educational videos on many mom/baby topics from the comfort of your own home or on your TV in the Birth Center. To watch at home, click on Health Clips. Enter Northfield Hospital + Clinic’s passcode 40111.
New Parent Classes (Taught by Amma)
Amma Parenting offers a wide variety of classes to help you after your baby has arrived. to prepare you for childbirth and your new baby including Infant CPR, New Mama, Baby Massage, Grandparent classes and more. You are welcome to sign up for any Amma Class. Visit Amma's website for for descriptions of additional classes.
Birth Center LIVE video chat
One session – 30 minutes, second Monday of the month – 6:00 p.m.
Join our Birth Center director for a live video chat to answer YOUR questions about our Birth Center! These chats are scheduled live from one of the birthing suites and are held on the second Monday of each month at 6:00 p.m. Join the FREE live video chat anytime during the half-hour.
To register for the video link, email email@example.com
- Tour of the birthing suite
- Open discussion/chat. Ask your questions
- Learn about birthing aides
- Laboring technologies, devices, and amenities
- Visitor guidelines