In 1910, a group of Northfield physicians formed the Northfield Hospital Association and with community support purchased a three-story house on the corner of Eighth and Water streets for Northfield’s first community hospital.
The 12-bed facility at Eighth and Water served the community well for many years, but during the Great Depression it struggled financially. In 1934, the city assumed responsibility for the hospital. In 1938, the community received a Works Progress Administration (WPA) grant and built a new 31-bed hospital on West Second Street.
Between 1938 and 1992, there were four major expansions and the addition of a skilled nursing facility. In 2003, construction was completed on a $30 million, 37-bed facility with a 40-bed long-term care center on land leased from St. Olaf College north of the college campus.
Since then, Northfield Hospital & Clinics has become a regional medical destination supporting primary and specialty care clinics in five area communities with inpatient, surgical services, birth center, cancer center, breast care center, women’s health center, advanced medical imaging, emergency medicine, sleep medicine and more.
1905 — The International Organization of Odd Fellows, now Three Links Care Center, opened a 17-bed hospital in Northfield. It was described as the best facility of its kind west of Chicago.
1910 — The Odd Fellows Hospital closed and a hospital association raised funds to establish a hospital in a two-story frame house at the corner of Eighth Street and Water Street.
1934 — Northfield Hospital became a city hospital.
1938 — Northfield citizens approved money for a new hospital on West Second Street.
1939 — The new hospital opened.
1957 — Voters approved a $275,000 bond issue for the first major addition to the new hospital. The bond funds were combined with federal Hill-Burton grant money.
1958 — Construction began in September on a two-story addition.
1960 — Construction completed in early part of the year. Total cost was $616,000.
1961 — Ground was broken on the skilled nursing facility. It was funded by a $250,000 bequest from Minnie Dilley.
1963 — H.O. Dilley Skilled Nursing Facility opened.
1968 — $250,000 bond issue approved for addition and remodeling. The project included a one-story addition to the northeast corner of the building for a new kitchen, laundry area, improved building systems, a second floor surgery wing and the addition of a cardiac unit.
1970 — Construction project completed.
1983 — A $5.8 million bond issue passed to fund a new emergency department, radiology department , laboratory, admitting office and lobby area and the remodeling of the surgery department, medical records, pharmacy and patient rooms.
1986 — Ground broken on building project.
1987 — Project completed and dedicated on May 21.
1992 — Hospital begins $4.5 million remodeling and expansion project for surgical space, diagnostic imaging and a dining room for the skilled nursing facility and new construction of the Center for Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation at the intersection of Jefferson Parkway and Jefferson Road.
September 13, 2001 — After five years of planning and negotiations, ground was broken for a new hospital on land leased from St. Olaf College at 2000 North Avenue. The $34 million project was funded by revenue bonds and cash reserves.
May 2003 — New hospital opens for business.
October 2003 — Northfield Hospital purchases the Orthopaedic and Fracture Clinic in Northfield.
June 2005 — Northfield Hospital purchases the Women’s Health Center from Cannon Valley Clinic — Faribault.
August 2005 — The Women’s Health Center moves to the hospital.
November 2005 — FamilyHealth Medical Clinic–Lonsdale opens.
Fall 2006 — FamilyHealth Medical Clinic–Northfield opens in temporary quarters on Division Street while a new permanent facility is being built at the hospital campus.
January 2007 — FamilyHealth Medical Clinic–Farmington opens.
May 2007 — FamilyHealth Medical Clinic–Northfield and Women’s Health Center of Northfield Hospital relocate to an on-campus primary care clinic.
December 2007 — FamilyHealth Medical Clinic opens in Lakeville.
February 2008 — Center for Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation opens in Lakeville.
December 2011 — Expanded Sleep Center opens at Northfield Hospital.
May 2012 — Cancer Care & Infusion Center opens at Northfield Hospital.
August 2012 — FamilyHealth Medical Clinic opens in Elko New Market.
October 2012 — Emergency Medical Services moves its headquarters to 1600 Riverview Lane in Northfield.
October 2013 — Urgent Care Lakeville opens at the FamilyHealth Medical Clinic in Lakeville.
August 2015 — Surgery Center opens at Northfield Hospital.